Submissions are now closed.
Please check back in early January 2023 for details about when submissions for our 2025 list will open.
Running the Goat publishes between four and seven commercially printed children's books annually. We are currently reading for our 2024 publication list.
The press welcomes submissions of the highest quality children's literature from across the country. Its main focus is on Newfoundland and Labrador-based or Atlantic Canadian writing, but exceptional work from all parts of Canada will be considered.
We are especially interested in manuscripts that reflect Canada's diverse culture, stories, and history, and in middle-grade readers and picture book manuscripts. Pitches for wordless picture books will also be warmly welcomed.
- Please mail submissions to Running the Goat, Books & Broadsides, General Delivery, Tors Cove, NL A0A 4A0 Email submissions will not be accepted or answered.
- Submissions must include a cover letter outlining the writer's experience and background.
- Please do not send your only copy of your work or any original artwork.
- As a courtesy, please clearly indicate if the manuscript is being submitted to other presses at the same time.
- Please allow several months for response. All submissions will receive a response, but only submissions with a self-addressed and stamped envelope with sufficient postage will be returned.
- Writers submitting manuscripts for picture books and illustrated books need to be aware that, should their manuscript be accepted, the press will select an illustrator. Picture book manuscripts should be sent without illustrations.
Running the Goat does not accept submissions for its list of letterpress-printed books.