We are not currently accepting submissions. Please check back in January 2024 for information about when submissions will re-open. Manuscripts submitted outside our submissions window will not be considered.
Running the Goat publishes between four and seven commercially printed children's books annually.
The press welcomes submissions of the highest quality children's literature from across the country. Its main focus is on Newfoundland and Labrador-based or Atlantic Canadian writing, but exceptional work from all parts of Canada will be considered.
We are especially interested in manuscripts that reflect Atlantic Canada's diverse culture, stories, and history, and in middle-grade readers and picture book manuscripts. Pitches for wordless picture books will also be warmly welcomed.
Please follow the submission guidelines below.
- Manuscripts submitted outside our submissions window will not be considered
- Please mail submissions to Running the Goat, Books & Broadsides, General Delivery, Tors Cove, NL A0A 4A0 Email submissions will not be accepted or answered.
- Submissions must include a cover letter outlining the writer's experience and background.
- Please do not send the only copy of your work or any original artwork.
- We will consider no more than three submissions from one person per year. If you have several manuscripts, please send only the strongest ones and/or those best suited to the press's mandate.
- As a courtesy, please clearly indicate if the manuscript is being submitted to other presses at the same time.
- Please allow several months for response. All submissions will receive a response, but only submissions with a self-addressed and stamped envelope with sufficient postage will be returned.
- Writers submitting manuscripts for picture books and illustrated books need to be aware that, should their manuscript be accepted, the press will select an illustrator. Picture book manuscripts should be sent without illustrations.
Please note: We do not provide manuscript assessment services. All manuscripts received will be treated as submissions. Manuscripts received outside of our submission period will not be read, and will be returned only if sufficient return postage has been included.
Running the Goat does not accept submissions for its list of letterpress-printed books.